WHO IS JOYCE HILL?
Being born in Detroit Michigan, I’m the daughter of a Chrysler Motors Supervisor Dad and a stay-at-home Mom. I was married for 18 years when my husband, John passed. Spiritually, I grew up Catholic and went to parochial school until the age of 10. However, my faith was superficial until later into adulthood when I finally realized what being Christian really meant. My boss at that time was a strong Christian woman and mentored me in God's word and introduced me to a loving, compassionate God. I remember hearing the Word in a way that resonated deep within my soul.
WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND?
I have an extensive background in leadership and organizational development. My work with c-suite executives (CEOs, CFOs, COOs, CIOs, etc.) has included individualized coaching, multi-rater feedback, personal development plans, and change management. My approach to coaching combines the identification of critical results along with the appropriate behavior(s) that will help the individual achieve those results. I am also a strong proponent of positive reinforcement and have helped several organizations incorporate this into their culture. I have worked with individuals in both domestic and international environments. Additionally, I have guided organizations through culture change that supports the achievement of business strategies, talent development including succession planning, team interventions, performance management, retention strategies and employee engagement; basically if what the organization is doing is touching people; I've often been in the forefront partnering with them.
- Organizational Excellence, LLC - Principal - Business and Organizational Development Consulting
- Chrysler Financial - Leadership Coach
- H&R Block - Director, Organizational Development
- State Street - AVP, Organizational Development
- Sprint Telecommunications - Organizational Development Consultant
Also, I presently serve as a professor of Organizational Development at Avila University.
COLLEGE, DEGREES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Friends University, Wichita KS, Master of Science/ Organizational Development
- Friends University, Wichita KS, Bachelors of Science/ Human Resources Management
- Senior Professional Human Resource Certification - Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM)
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (Level I & II)
- Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument
- Hogan Suite Assessments
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- Emotional Intelligence Inventory (Hay Group)
HOW DID YOU FIND YOUR PRESENT ROLE AT LIFEPOINTE?
As an Organizational Director at LifePointe I provide insights through observations and inquiries, probing and challenging. I do so by giving feedback, coaching, mentoring and a good dose of positive reinforcement for behaviors that support our vision and values. I also believe that I do this by exhibiting those behaviors that are in concert with our vision and values; not just as a church leader but also when I serve as a greeter or in any other capacity the church needs. It doesn't matter how much you talk about something that matters; it's how you actually model those behaviors that is critical. I learned years ago that integrity is doing what's right even when you think no one is watching.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING ABOUT LIFEPOINTE?
LifePointe has helped me develop an amazingly deep relationship the Jesus. I have come to realize just what it means to have the Living God within me! Pastor Patrick's teachings are applicable and have often provided solutions to issues or guidance when I have been faced with some major life decisions. I have experienced a tremendous amount of healing not only from my grief (of my husband’s passing), but also from significant childhood events that impacted my life. Another favorite is the people and the relationships I have developed at LifePointe. I am always looking forward to the first-time visitor and praying they find the same feeling of calm and genuine compassion I initially experienced.
WHAT DO YOU DO FOR FUN?
- Traveling; even though I don't do as much as I used to with John
- Gardening; both floral and vegetables
- Crossword puzzles (in ink)
- Playing with my Nicci girl (Scottish Terrier)
WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU HAVE EVER BEEN GIVEN?
My Dad used to always say, "You can lose some battles along the way and still win the war."
WHAT IS YOUR GO-TO SCRIPTURE VERSE THAT CONTINUES TO SPEAK POWER TO YOUR LIFE?
ISAIAH 40:31 NKJV But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew [their] strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE?
While I love action films and mysteries; I think overall my favorites are "An Officer and a Gentleman" and "Titanic" I'm a sucker for a good love story!
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SPIRITUAL OR SELF-HELP BOOKS AND WHY?
- There are 2 John Maxwell books that provide inspirational and practical lessons of leadership; "Developing the Leader Within You" and "No Limits."
- Lisa Bevere, "Without Rival" reminds me that I am unique and child of the most high God. I learned that I was born an original and do not want to die a copy
- Steve Furtick, "Un Qualified" because is also reminds me that God will not bring me to something without equipping me with what I need to accomplish it.
- Brene Brown "Braving the Wilderness" is currently being read and might become a favorite.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FOOD AND WHERE?
Don't really have a favorite but, if I must, it would be a medium cooked filet mignon at Ruth Chris Steak House. I have been to several including the original in New Orleans.
DESCRIBE A PERFECT DAY
I try to see everyday as a perfect day. I don't mean to sound trite but I've learned over the last few years that there is always something "perfect" about everyday we are here on earth. Even if it's been a trying or drama filled day; I try to see identified lessons learned and be thankful for all God has done and is doing for me.
TELL US SOMETHING ABOUT YOURSELF THAT PEOPLE MIGHT BE SURPRISED BY, FUN FACT, OR NOT MANY PEOPLE KNOW?
I have an amazing Betty Boop collection; tours available via appointments only! Probably my artistic ability would come in next; I love to sculpt and paint.